Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Curing: Homemade Bacon!

I made bacon.

Let me give you a moment to pause and ponder my awesomeness...

Bacon!


I had 3-4 lbs of pork belly in my freezer, waiting for me to get up the nerve. I rubbed it with a mixture of 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup maple syrup. I turned it in the brine each day for 7 (maybe 8?) days. Then I smoked it in my electric smoker using applewood chips. This piece above went into the freezer, and the other three pieces came to the Island with us.

Oh. My.

The first morning we had a feast with Graham and Kyla. I filled a sheet pan with slices of the meatiest bacon, and we roasted (baked?) it. It tasted like bacon candy. That, along with potato scones, and scrambled local eggs, and shredded Brussels sprouts sautéed in bacon fat, was Breakfast. Super Breakfast.

After that, we added cubed bacon to everything. The fattier pieces were thrown into cast iron pots and pans, rendered of their fat, and then we sizzled whatever we were going to cook in the flavourful awesomeness while Kyla ate the crispy fat bits. I can't even remember all the wonderful things we ate over those five days together but I'm pretty sure that bacon was part of every meal. We have been eating vegetarian meals since arriving back home to compensate for the abundance! 

I was so happy to remember that I had one more piece at home in the freezer. It's thawing now, and I believe it will star in baked beans tomorrow.

Can't wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment