Friday, February 17, 2012

Baking: Pumpkin Waffles

These are a family favourite.

I always stock up on sugar pumpkins in the Fall and keep them in my cold room. Then I periodically roast a couple of them up, puree, and freeze in recipe-sized batches. Mainly in 3/4 cup amounts for this particular recipe! 

 If we have any in the house, we add a dollop of whipped cream on top of these waffles. That, along with dark grade maple syrup, makes these ultra-decadent. I can only ever eat one waffle. My kids eat 2, usually. Jay eats 3 or 4, sometimes more. It makes my stomach hurt, watching it! But oh, he is in heaven as he enjoys these! I think he confuses them with a stack of pancakes... 

 If he doesn't polish off the whole batch, they keep well, and I send them along as a school snack, cut in half diagonally and with a little container of maple syrup for dipping. I get extra love from the kids on those days.

Enjoy.

Pumpkin Waffles

1 3/4 cups milk (I've also used almond with success)
3/4 cup pureed pumpkin
1/3 cup oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup lightly-packed brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Mix wet and dry ingredients separately, then stir together. I usually whisk the whole thing smooth, then let it sit for 5-10 minutes while I preheat my pride and joy (my All-Clad waffle iron). 
Oil or spray your iron to prevent sticking.

Serve with real maple syrup (dark is delicious!) and, if you really want to kick it up a notch, a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream.

makes approx. 12 waffles, depending on the size of your waffle iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment