Monday, February 13, 2012

Cooking: An Empty Recycling Box

On Sunday, we had the family over for dinner to celebrate Faire's Birthday. I made two huge pots of soup to keep it simple. The next morning, as I emptied the dishwasher, the top rack was full of clean mason jars. I added them to the top of the fridge, which is where I gather them until I take a bunch down to the cold room/canning supply storage area. 
What a difference. Years ago, a big pot of soup, or tomato sauce, or other one-pot meal would leave my recycling box overflowing with empty tin cans. Now it's empty, and the top of my fridge is cluttered with sparkling glass. I was able to feed 15 people with the contents of my cold room, along with some frozen beef from the farmer's market, the produce drawers in the bottom of my fridge, and the Mason jars in the cupboard, full of dried beans and lentils.


So very satisfying.

And that is one of the many reasons why you will find me in the kitchen, over a canning pot, many of the days in August, September and October.

No comments:

Post a Comment